- Your Government
- Committees & Boards
- Basalt Affordable Community Housing (BACH)
Basalt Affordable Community Housing (BACH)
The Basalt Affordable Community Housing group, generally known as BACH, is an active citizen committee that reviews affordable and community housing applications, provides recommendations on suitable affordable housing locations, types and densities, and reviews projects for compliance with the Town’s livability standards. BACH provides recommendations to the Town Council on these matters.
BACH was originally formed in 2009 by Town Council through a Memo of Understanding (MOU). At that time the group was focused on how the Roaring Fork Community Development Corporation (CDC) would work together with the Town to provide affordable housing for the greater Basalt community. In 2013 the Town Council rescinded the MOU with the CDC and designated BACH as a formal advisory commission to the Town Council on all matters related to affordable and community housing.
BACH has been an integral group within the Town of Basalt since it’s inception. A few of the more recent and notable projects include:
- The Town of Basalt’s partnership with Habitat of Humanity on the construction of a single-family home at Homestead Drive;
- An EPS Study to update housing needs and housing inventory;
- Identified properties with the Urban Growth Boundary for affordable housing projects;
- Worked with Town Staff in developing the Community Housing Credit Program, which was adopted and incorporated into the Municipal Code;
- Provided recommendations for incentives to build affordable housing, which was adopted and incorporated into the Municipal Code;
- Provided recommendations for Code amendments involving affordable housing and policies, bringing the Town’s requirements into alignment with Eagle County requirements;
- Created Livability Standards for incorporation into the Community Housing Guidelines; and
- Reviewed plans and provided recommendations to Council on many projects, including Stott’s Mill, Willits Block Seven, and the Roaring Fork Apartments.
- The Greater Roaring Fork Regional Housing Study is available for review.
- Ordinance No. 07, Series of 2013 formalizing BACH as an advisory commission to the Town Council may be found here.
- Town of Basalt Affordable Housing Guidelines
- 2020 Basalt Master Plan
- Municipal Code Chapter 16, Article XIX, Housing Mitigation
BACH has up to seven (7) members. At least one (1) member should be a member of the Hispanic community; a maximum of two (2) members may reside outside of the Town of Basalt so long as they work within the Town limits as part of the business/finance community or RE-1 School District.
BACH typically meets the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month at noon at Basalt Town Hall, 101 Midland Avenue. BACH has been meeting virtually during the pandemic.
BACH is currently accepting applications from interested parties to serve on the commission. If you are interested, please visit the Board Openings page under the Government tab above for more information.