The Basalt Planning Department Staff consists of the Planning Director, the Assistant Planning Director, and two Staff Planners.
Making Changes to Your Property
Talking with the Planning Staff is the first step to take when considering changes to your property. Planning Staff is available by appointment to meet with residents and developers to discuss proposals. Please call 970-927-4701 to make an appointment.
Town Council & Other Boards
The Basalt Town Council and its advisory boards rely heavily on the assistance of the Planning Department in determining how the town should grow and develop. Along with these decisions comes the Planning Department’s important responsibility of ensuring the impacts of development are paid for by those who benefit the most from that development. The Planning Department also helps the Planning and Zoning Commission and Town Council review new development applications. Development projects range from determining the traffic and infrastructure impacts of a subdivision near Old Town Basalt to reviewing annexations into the town boundaries of properties over a hundred acres with associated dwelling units.
Master Plans & Master Plan Update
The 2020 Basalt Master Plan was adopted unanimously by the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Town Council on Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at a special meeting of both boards. The 2020 Master Plan was prepared based on input provided during the public outreach process.and Worksessions held by the P&Z and Town Council. Adjustments were made based on comments made the Town’s referral agencies and the public.
Town Staff worked with CTA Architects and Engineers and Connect One Design on the new Master Plan.
The 2020 Basalt Master Plan is rooted in community input. The Community input encompasses many voices. See Appendix A for details on the outreach. See Appendix A.2 - Baseline Inventory Update and Analysis and Appendix A.3 - Context and History, combined here. See Appendix A.4 to review the Our Town Master Plan Sub-Area plan.
Please send any comments to firstname.lastname@example.org with “2020 Master Plan Comments” in the subject line.
Access https://letstalk.basalt.net/ to find out more about the Basalt Master Plan process.
Additional Plans and Studies
- RFTA Destination 2040
- RFTA Regional Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Transit Access Plan (2015).
- 2014 Housing Conditions Report (PDF).
Information on Basalt River Park
- Click here to see the latest plans for the Basalt River Park
- Click here to view the Basalt River Park Development application.
Information on Land Use Applications
- Click here to view the Application for The Arts Campus at Willits, aka TACAW.
- Click here to review the Revised Southside Traffic Report (PDF).
- Click here to review the application submitted by the Aspen Skiing Company for a multi-family residential development at Block 9 of Willits Town Center. Click here for an update to the affordable housing plans.
- P&Z agenda packets are now located in the Agenda Center
Frequently Used Forms
- Affidavit of Public Notice (PDF)
- Development Application (PDF)
- Reimbursement Agreement (PDF)
- Special Events Application (PDF)