The Basalt Planning Department Staff consists of the Planning Director, the Assistant Planning Director, and two Staff Planners.
Making Changes to Your Property
Talking with the Planning Staff is the first step to take when considering changes to your property. Planning Staff is available by appointment to meet with residents and developers to discuss proposals. Please call 970-927-4701 to make an appointment.
Town Council & Other Boards
The Basalt Town Council and its advisory boards rely heavily on the assistance of the Planning Department in determining how the town should grow and develop. Along with these decisions comes the Planning Department's important responsibility of ensuring the impacts of development are paid for by those who benefit the most from that development. The Planning Department also helps the Planning and Zoning Commission and Town Council review new development applications. Development projects range from determining the traffic and infrastructure impacts of a subdivision near Old Town Basalt to reviewing annexations into the town boundaries of properties over a hundred acres with associated dwelling units.
Master Plans & Master Plan Update
Town Staff is working with CTA Architects and Engineers and Connect One Design on the new Master Plan.
Did you miss the Fall Open House? Access https://letstalk.basalt.net/ to find out more about the Basalt Master Plan process and provide input on what was presented on November 13th.
Currently, the 2007 Basalt Master Plan is the Town's signature document for outlining key planning policies. There are several other plans that have been adopted by the Town of Basalt as part of the Town's Master Plan, including:
- The River Stewardship Master Plan identifies ways to make the river safer, enhance the riparian environment, and create river parks for all of Basalt to enjoy.
- The Two Rivers Greenway Plan (PDF) identifies a strategic plan for enhancing the recreational use within the corridor while maintaining two-way vehicular traffic. See also the more detailed plans for Phase I (PDF).
- The El Jebel Sub-Area Plan (PDF) was adopted in 2013 to cause the Town's Plan to be more consistent with the recently adopted Mid-Valley Master Plan.
- The Basalt Parks, Open Space and Trails Master Plan (PDF) was prepared by the Town's POST Committee to highlight where the Town should spend its Parks, Open Space and Sales Tax revenues to best meet community goals.
- Our Town Subarea Plan: An amendment to the 2007 Town of Basalt Master Plan. Check out Our Town Planning. Click here to review the Plan adopted (PDF) by the Planning and Zoning Commission on October 20, 2016 and by the Town Council on November 24, 2016.
Additional Information and Studies
- RFTA Destination 2040
- RFTA Regional Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Transit Access Plan (2015).
- 2014 Housing Conditions Report (PDF).
- Click here (PDF) for information regarding the East Valley Road Traffic Calming in Willits.
- Click here to review the Presentation (PDF) given by Loris at the July 6 Open House on the Update to the Two Rivers Road Greenway Master Plan.
- Click here to review the Results from the survey given at the July 6 Open House (PDF) on updates to the Two Rivers Road Greenway Master Plan
- Click here (PDF) for Basalt's 2018 Organizational Stewardship Report to Great Outdoors Colorado.
Information on Basalt River Park
- Click here to see the latest Plans (PDF) for the Basalt River Park
- Click here to see the Cost (PDF) information for the Basalt River Park
- Click here to see the package containing the detailed Cost (PDF) information for the Basalt River Park
Information on Land Use Applications
- Click here to view the Application for The Arts Campus at Willits, aka TACAW.
- Click here to view the Application for Final Plan Review for the Basalt River Park.
- Click here to review the Revised Southside Traffic Report (PDF).
- Click here to review the application submitted by the Aspen Skiing Company for a multi-family residential development at Block 9 of Willits Town Center. Click here for an update to the affordable housing plans.
Proposals and Bid Documents
- There are currently no proposals or bid documents.
- P&Z agenda packets are now located in the Agenda Center
Frequently Used Forms
- Affidavit of Public Notice (PDF)
- Development Application (PDF)
- Reimbursement Agreement (PDF)
- Special Events Application (PDF)